Martens Summer School
Press release — 07 August 2013
2nd Martens Summer School a great success
The 2nd Martens Summer School on International Law was held at Tartu University’s Pärnu College from 29 July-2 August 2013. Students attending this intense course on international law were highly satisfied and so were the renowned scholars, who came to engage in discussions and exchange their views on comparative aspects of international law, especially the question of how these fields are interpreted and applied in the West and the Russian Federation. This year the school hosted students from Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Russia, the US, China (Hong Kong), Brazil, Australia and Georgia.
Lectures during the week included
- Professor Bill Bowring (Birkbeck College, London) “Litigating Russian Cases in the European Court of Human Rights”
- Professor Eduard Ivanov (Higher School of Economics, Moscow), “International Law and the Problem of Terrorism”
- Judge Angelika Nußberger (European Court of Human Rights, Strasbourg), “The Protection of Social and Economic Rights in Europe”
- Associate Professor René Värk (University of Tartu), “Challenges and Developments in International Humanitarian Law”
- Associate Professor Christoph Schewe (University of Latvia) “Russia in International trade Law”
For more information about the summer school programme and lectures see also http://www.isu.ut.ee/1109535.